Hot melt adhesive application for binding
Meler systems for hot-melt adhesive application in binding
Focke Meler bookbinding solutions for the application of EVA and PUR adhesives on all types of perfect binder
In recent years, Bookbinding has had to adapt to the new challenges of the digital era. The use of sophisticated designs and varied substrates has led to the demand for new adhesive technology and better application technology.
Focke Meler´s cutting-edge technologies, personalized products and efficient after sales service, make it a reliable partner in this new exigent market.
We manufacture small binder solutions with a range of melting units compatible with all entry level perfect binder main makes: Horizon, Duplo and CP Bourg.
Meler has also developed mid and high range binder solutions with a variety of drum unloaders and non stop melting units compatible with all kind of Binders including :-Muller Martini (Panda, Tigra, Pantera, Star, Acoro, Bolero and Corona binders). Wohlenberg (City, Master and Champion binders) and Kolbus (KM470, KM472, KM473 and KM600 binders).
What types of books is used for?
- Books with high-gloss, premium paper
- Books with synthetic or mechanical paper
- Premium hardback books
- Books subjected to extreme temperatures (road atlases, guidebooks)
- Frequently used books (educational, reference books)
- User manuals
Type of adhesive used
- PUR adhesives
Advantages of PUR adhesives
- Improved binding strength across all paper types
- Better lay-flat due to thinner glue film
- Resistant to ink solvent migration
- A wide temperature range –works in extreme heat and cold
- Lasts longer than hot melt
- Replaces the sewing process
- Wide range of Focke Meler PUR melters:
From 2kg to 200 kg capacity. Gear pump technology delivers consistent adhesive flow rate and hose pressure.
- Hoses with different diameters and lengths:
Strong, flexible and low power consumption.
- Pattern controller for different lengths:
Multi channel programmer.
Easy programming of glue line start and stop position and glue line length.
- Book spine head:
Minimal moving parts= low maintenance.
Simple cleaning procedure= no wasted glue.
Accurate adhesive application.
- Interchangeable mounting trolleys:
Designed and custom built to fit any binder type.
Wheel in, Wheel out for fast change over of adhesive type.
- We conduct a study of your machinery to determine compatibility
Focke Meler Application advantages
- Application thicknesses between 0.3 and 0.4 mm, half of that in traditional applications.
- Accurate glue line length reduces contamination in the three knife trimmer
- Better cleaning and less maintenance than with roller systems.
- Perfect adhesive preservation, with the use of dry air or nitrogen (inert atmosphere).
- With milled books it avoids the costly sewing operation.
Focke Meler advantages
Focke Meler are able to provide a complete service which includes:
- Binder survey to determine if the machine is suitable for conversion to PUR.
- Manufacture and supply interchangeable mounting trolleys designed to fit your specific machine.
- Rapid, no fuss installation = minimal production disruption.
- Commissioning and operator training by specialist bookbinders.
- Dedicated after sales support.
- Focke Meler design and manufacturing technology. Made in the EU.
- We adapt to the specific needs of each application.
- Spare parts supplied from stock, often within 24 hours of order.